MAST Motor Boat Licence Course
In Tasmania, you are required to have a motorboat licence to operate a boat with a 4hp engine or higher.
The Derwent Sailing Squadron (DSS) runs regular full and provisional MAST Motorboat licence courses at their Sandy Bay, Hobart headquarters.
The 4-hour course teaches safe boating procedures by combining practical exercises with theory instruction. Students receive training out on the water, and a maximum theory class size of 4 students, to create the best possible learning environment.
On successful completion of the course SailTrain will notify MAST and a confirmation email will be sent to students. Students will then go to Service Tasmania to provide their evidence of identity and pay the current licence issue fee ($25.92 until 30/06/2021).
The course is delivered by SailTrain instructors accredited (MSTTV011) with Marine and Safety Tasmania.
The MAST Motor Boat Provisional licence for children 12 to 17 years is a great way to get children engaged with responsible boating. The syllabus and exam is identical to the full licence course, therefore children are welcome on any of our scheduled sessions. However, we are also happy to arrange special Provisional Licence sessions for school and youth groups. Courses can also be run on demand for groups of 3 -4 students.
The cost is $130 per person.
This course assumes you’ve obtained and studied the MAST Safe Boating Handbook prior to undertaking the licence test. The handbook is available to download HERE.
This course will cover launching, trip planning, safe loading and buoyancy, use of flares and distress signals, meteorology, rules of the road, special rules, safe navigation, vessel preparation and maintenance, damage control, Man Overboard and recovery, operational areas, safety equipment, marine radios, anchoring, responsibility and restrictions of provisional motorboat licence.
To gain the MAST Motor Boat Licence requires attending a 4-hour course which includes a practical session in a motorboat, a theory session, and exam.
WHAT TO BRING
The Instructor will provide all learning support material and resources as required. You will need to bring a pen and notebook, warm clothing, spray jacket, non-marking shoes, hat, sun block, drinks, and a snack. Please bring your own lifejacket if you have one. If you don’t, disinfected lifejackets are available for use.
Information from the MAST website
- The motorboat licence is valid for a three year period (pro rata). Licences all have a common expiry date. It is not a requirement to carry your licence when on the water in Tasmania but MAST by-laws stipulate that, if requested, the licence must be produced within 14 days.
- Plastic licence cards are no longer automatically issued. A plastic card can be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org at a cost of $7.90.
- MAST has been advised by a number of hire companies both overseas and in Australia that producing a plastic licence card is not necessary when hiring a vessel.
- A motorboat licence is for recreational boating only. You will need a Certificate of Competency to operate a vessel commercially.
Find out more
For more information about this course please contact Jo at the DSS Office;
Phone 03 6223 1977 | email email@example.com
Maximum 4 people per course
- Wednesday 3 March 2021 – Register Here
- Wednesday 24 March 2021 – Register Here
- Wednesday 31 March 2021 – Register Here
- Sunday 18 April 2021 – Register Here
- Sunday 9 May 2021 – Register Here
- Sunday 6 June 2021 – Register Here
If you have any questions , please contact the DSS on 62231977 or the Sailing Operations Manager 0417 121 575
If you are interested in a course and no suitable dates are listed, why not tell us what you are interested in by completing the SailTrain Expression of Interest form. We will contact you to discuss your requirements further.