Marine Radio Courses
Did you know that it is an offense to use a Marine Radio without a Licence to Operate? There are severe penalties for the misuse of Marine Radio, including operating without a licence, and this includes hand-held portables.
Course option 1 – The Short Range Operators Certificate of Proficiency (SROCP), also know as VHF Radio Licence
The Short Range Operators (VHF) Certificate of Proficiency is designed for those who are only carrying and/or operating a Very High Frequency (VHF) (Short Range) radio. Successful completion of the exam qualifies you to receive the SROCP* certificate. Course fee includes examination.
The purpose of this course is to help you pass the exam, gain your licence and be competent and legal in the operation of your radio. VHF Radio is a vital safety aid for vessels on coastal and inshore passages and is required carriage for vessels navigating in Coastal and Offshore waters. Knowledge of the correct procedures for operating a Marine Radio in an emergency could save your life.
Cost $190 per person
This is an elementary course that requires no previous knowledge.
The course will cover all aspects of the operation of Marine VHF Radios including:- Legal matters, principals of VHF Marine Radio, Radio Propagation, Channels and Frequencies, Ship and Shore Stations, Priority and Routine Communications, DSC, GMDSS, EPIRBS and SARTs and Power Supplies and Antennas.
Course is 6 hours and consists of 2 x 3 hr weeknight sessions.
Course option 2 – The Long Range Operators Certificate of Proficiency (LROCP)
The Long Range Operators Certificate of Proficiency (LROCP) is the preferred licence and is for operating both VHF radios (short range radios) and Medium Frequency/High Frequency (MF/HF) Radios (which are designed for long range transmission). Successful completion of the exam qualifies you to receive the LROCP certificate. Course fee includes the practical and theory examination.
The purpose of this course is to help you pass the exam, gain your licence and be competent and legal in the operation of your radio. A Marine Radio is a vital safety aid for vessels and a knowledge of the correct procedures for operating a Marine Radio in an emergency could save your life.
Cost $220 per person
No prior knowledge is required.
The course will cover all aspects of the operation of Marine VHF Radios and at the conclusion you will be able to demonstrate:
- a practical knowledge of GMDSS sub-systems and equipment which is appropriate to vessels operating in Australian waters on which a radio installation is not compulsory under international agreements. Specifically, MF/HF and VHF radio telephony equipment with digital selective calling (DSC) facilities, and emergency position indicating radio beacons of the 406 MHz and 121.5/243 MHz type.
- an ability to use MF/HF and VHF radio telephony and digital selective calling (DSC) operating procedures, particularly those relating to distress, urgency and safety.
- an understanding of simple maintenance practices required to keep the marine radio equipment specified in (1) in good working order, including the repair of minor faults.
- an understanding of the regulations applicable to ship stations equipped with radio telephony and digital selective calling facilities.
- a basic knowledge of the Australian marine search and rescue system.
- a practical knowledge of marine radio operations and equipment.
Course is 8 hours and consists of 2 x 3 hr weeknight sessions from 5.30pm to 8:30pm and 2 hr exam on the 3rd from 5.30pm.7.30pm
WHAT TO BRING
Instructor will provide all learning support material & resources. You will need to bring with you a colour passport photograph, note book and black pen. You will also need to show photo ID.
FIND OUT MORE
For more information about this course please contact the DSS Office;
Phone 03 6223 1977 | email firstname.lastname@example.org
- LROCP Course – Monday 19, 20 & 26 April (exam) – Register HERE
- LROCP Course – Monday 24, 25 & 31 May (exam) – Register HERE
- SROCP (VHF) Course – Monday 3 & 4 May 2021 – Register HERE
- SROCP (VHF) Course – Monday 7 & 8 June 2021 – Register HERE
Derwent Sailing Squadron members please login to your mySailor HERE before registering then enter the discount code DSSMEMBER to receive a 10% discount.
If you have any questions , please contact the DSS on 62231977 or the Sailing Operations Manager 0417 121 575
If you are interested in a course and no suitable dates are listed, why not tell us what you are interested in by completing the SailTrain Expression of Interest form. We will contact you to discuss your requirements further.