Australian Sailing Start Crewing Course
The first step on the Keelboat pathway introduces you to the basics of sailing on a small keelboat, including boat handling, safety and sailing theory.
This 12 hour course will be delivered by our Senior Australian Sailing Keelboat Instructor, Greg Brooks. The course will be run over 2 days, on our well appointed Sailtrain boat, the ‘Cantina’, a Young 88.
The cost is $390 per person.
This course is designed for participants who wish to begin sailing in a keelboat. Learn the basics, whilst staying relatively dry! All the equipment and gear will be provided by your accredited Discover Sailing Centre.
This course assumes that you have no prior knowledge of sailing but being confident on the water is desirable.
At the end of the course you will have completed the following sailing elements towards your sailing competencies:
- Preparation for sailing.
- Boat and equipment – basic knowledge of sailing terms, identify parts of the boat, rigging and sailing and hosting and lowering sails.
- Ropework – knot tying and coiling ropes and basic knowledge of halyard, winches, clutches and cleats.
- Skills and Techniques – understand the basic theory and principles of sailing, sail trim, wind awareness and tie up a boat.
- Safety and Emergencies – man overboard, use of safety equipment and hazards.
- Sailing Theory – awareness of basic rules.
To gain the AS Start Crewing Certificate requires attending a 12-hour course held over 2 days.
WHAT TO BRING
You will need to bring warm clothing, thermals, spray jacket, non- marking shoes, sailing gloves, hat, beanie and sun block. An inflatable PFD yoke and harness is provided.
Find out more
For more information about this course please contact the DSS Office;
Phone 03 6223 1977 | email firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday 5 & 12 June 2021 – REGISTER HERE
Sunday 6 & 13 June 2021 – REGISTER HERE
Sunday 27 June & 4 July 2021 – REGISTER HERE
Derwent Sailing Squadron members please login to your mySailor HERE before registering then enter the discount code DSSMEMBER to receive a 10% discount.
If you have any questions , please contact the DSS on 62231977 or the Sailing Operations Manager 0417 121 575
If you are interested in a course and no suitable dates are listed, why not tell us what you are interested in by completing the SailTrain Expression of Interest form. We will contact you to discuss your requirements further.